NeuroGen Brain and Spine Institute takes care of patients affected with incurable neurological disorders. Our aim is to provide complete treatment & rehabilitation to these patients and help them become as independent as possible. For this, a specialized treatment known as stem cell therapy is used. In addition, the patient is treated as a whole and all of his/her problems addressed, so as to facilitate overall rehabilitation and independence.
Day 1: CONSULTATION
Consultation with specialists at NeuroGen Brain and Spine Institute can be done by the following ways:
- In person: Out-patient Department at NeuroGen is generally active on all the week days from Monday to Saturday Tuesdays with prior appointments. Telephonic appointments can be made at 0091 22 25281610/25283706
- Through mail: you may send your query to email@example.com along with the relevant details, such as history, medical records and investigations done. You will get a reply to your query, either by mail or via a telephone call. Further communication can be carried out thereafter, as per suitability and convenience
- Telephonically: Doctors at NeuroGen are available to speak to the patients or patients relatives –Monday to Saturday (from 10am to 5 pm).
Day 2: TREATMENT
Treatment schedule at NeuroGen is typically for 6 days, which includes stem cell therapy followed by holistic neurorehabilitation (physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, psychological counseling, urorehabilitation, sexual rehabilitation, bedsore management, etc.)
Once the date for stem cell therapy has been decided, the patient will need to undergo a battery of tests for 2 purposes:
- To ensure preoperative fitness: Routine blood tests, such as CBC, Blood sugar, S creatinine, S electrolytes, LFT, CT, BT, PT, HIV I and II antibodies, HbsAg, HCV antibodies.
- To assess severity and nature of the disease/disorder (as required): special imaging tests such as MRI Brain, spine, musculoskeletal system, PET CT Scan brain, CT Scan spine; Electrophysiological tests such as EEG, EMG, NCV, SSEP, VEP, BERA; other special tests if required.
Administration of stem cell stimulating factors: Granulocyte Colony Stimulating factor (Grafeel/XPHIL) has to be administered 48 hrs and 24 hrs before bone marrow harvesting is done.
The road schedule is as follows:
Day 1: Complete pre-operative assessment
The patients are assessed neurologically, physically, functionally, psychologically along with a pre-anesthetic workup.
Day 2: Stem cell therapy
The stem cell therapy process using autologous (taken from the patient’s own body) bone marrow derived stem cells consists broadly of 3 stages.
Stem cell therapy is done in 3 steps:
(1) Procurement of the stem cells from the bone marrow via a bone marrow aspiration in the operating theatre
(2) Separation, harvesting, enriching &/or expansion and differentiation in the laboratory
(3) Transplantation or delivery of the cells to the desired location.
Post treatment care: Following the stem cell therapy, patient is required to be lying down for the day and drink plenty of fluids, to prevent, ”spinal headache”.
From the very next day, patient is started on an intensive rehabilitation regime, which is customized to the patient requirement.
Day 3-6: Rehabilitation Therapy
Rehabilitation is an integrated approach which aims to transform a disabled person into a “differently abled person”. To accomplish this we have a team comprising of physiotherapist, occupational therapist, speech therapist, neuro-psychologist, urologist, andrologist, and neuro-physician.
Day 6: Discharge
After a final session of rehabilitation, the patient is given advice to be followed for the next few months and discharged from the hospital.
A follow-up appointment is scheduled at regular 3 month intervals to track the patient’s progress.
Every patient becomes a part of the NeuroGen family. We strive to provide holistic care for all members and ensure that we extend support to them even after the treatment.