NeuroGen Brain & Spine Institute has been set up to help patients with incurable neurological disorders such as autism, muscular dystrophy, cerebral palsy, mental retardation, spinal cord injury, stroke, etc. We use a multidisciplinary approach to relieve the symptoms and improve quality of life of such patients.
What we do
Our approach consists of using a combination of
- Stem Cell Therapy,
- NeuroRehabilitation and
- Other Medical and surgical treatments
We use adult stem cells derived from the patient's own bone marrow, as they are the safest and most feasible type of cells. There are no major ethical and moral issues involved in the use of these cells.
Since every patient is different, our treatment protocol is customized according to the patient's requirement.
Till date, more than 1500 patients have been treated at NeuroGen Brain & Spine Institute. None of them have shown any major side effects.
Our team is headed by Dr. Alok Sharma and the panel includes:
- A medical team (neurosurgeon, neurophysician, pediatric neurologist, psychiatrist, orthopedic surgeon, general physician ,urologist, andrologist, general surgeon & ophthalmologist)
- A basic science team (Neuropathologist, Regenerative medicine scientist & Biotechnologist)
- A rehabilitation team (physiotherapist, occupational therapist, clinical psychologist, speech therapist, aqua therapist and yoga therapist)
At Neurogen, along with treatment there is a strong emphasis given to academic work and clinical research. A detailed analysis of the clinical data is done regularly and this is published in various scientific media. Currently,30 papers have been published by our team in medical journals. We have 7 chapters in International textbooks and our team has also published over 6 books.
Core NeuroGen Team
Dr. Alok Sharma
Director & Consultant
Dr. Nandini Gokulchandran
Deputy Director & Head of Medical Services & Consultant Regenerative Medicine
Dr. Hemangi Sane
Deputy Director & Consultant Physician & Head of Research and Development
Dr. Prerna Badhe
Deputy Director & Head of Stem Cell Laboratory & Consultant Neuropathologist
Dr. V.C.Jacob (PT)
Deputy Director & Head of NeuroRehabilitation
Dr. Richa Bansod
Head - Surgical Services
Dr. Vinita Mane
Representative Medical Officer
Dr. Heena Sayyed
Representative Medical Officer
Dr. Hema Biju
Head of Occupational Therapy
Dr. Joji George
Head of Physio Therapy
Dr. Renuka Desai
Head of Autism Child Development Centre
Dr. Amruta Paranjape
Dr. Khushboo Bhagwanani
Dr. Sushant Gandhi
Dr. Jayanti Yadav
Dr. Akshya Nagrulkar
Dr. Vidhya Depkunde
Senior Research Associate
Our Social Activities
We are associated with numerous support groups and NGOs such as StemCare Foundation, Autism Connect, Association of Muscular Dystrophy, Asha Ek Hope- An MND Foundation to help rehabilitate affected families.
We as an institute understand that coping with a neurological disability is as traumatic to the patient as to his/her family. Hence, we aim to extend our support in every possible way, not just before or during the treatment, but even after.
We also conduct various awareness programs for the medical fraternity and for patients and their caretakers. Conducting conferences, lectures, workshops, publishing guidebooks and making documentary movies is a part of this program
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Cerebral Palsy
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Cerebellar ataxia
- Head Injury
- Mental retardation
- Injuries of the brain and spine due to infections
- Genetic and degenerative neurological disorders
- Motor Neuron Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Neuromuscular disorders
Mission & Vision
- To make a difference to the lives of patients suffering from incurable/ intractable diseases and injury of the nervous system, by providing them with the most effective and safest available treatments & technologies from the field of neurosciences and regenerative medicine.
- To offer return of function, relief from symptoms and recovery from illness in a professional, holistic and caring manner in an institution having world class standards.
- To conduct basic & clinical research and to constantly work on innovation & development so that the best therapeutic strategies can be evolved