Neuroregenerative Rehabilitaion Therapy
Our neurorehabilitation team consists of core participants like neurosurgeon, neurologist, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, neuropeaditric therapist, speech therapist, psychologist, aquatic therapist, dietitian, and family members or caregivers of the patient. Multiple other professionals like psychiatrist, plastic surgeons, orthopedic surgeons, and andrologists, urologist, cardiologists, and ophthalmologist, gastroenterologist and ENT specialists form the secondary team and may be given appropriate referrals when required.
The rehabilitation teams sets up goals for our patients and provide a rehab program that helps them accomplish their goals. Studies have shown that exercise induces mobility in the injected stem cells, thereby enhancing the achievable outcomes. Hence Neurorehabilitation appears to work complimentarily with stem cell therapy.
- Indore admission facilities for long term rehabilitation
- Rehabilitation on OPD basis
- All modalities for treating chronic patients with different disabilities available
- Modern gadgets for exercise therapy, occupational therapy as well as speech therapy available.
- Treatment by senior physiotherapists along with fully qualified team of specialists.
- Fitting of orthotic devices to treat severely disables with paralysis and deformities.
- Different packages available for long/short term rehabilitation as well as for different class of accommodation.
- Special concessional packages for patients from lower socio-economic background.
Physiotherapists address the physical disability experienced by the patients.
- To assist in movement restoration
- To increase muscle strength, endurance, coordination & balance.
- To reduce spasticity & increase joint range of motion & prevent contractures.
- To assist in gait training with or without ambulatory aids.
- To perform pulmonary rehabilitation including breathing exercises, in order to reduce fatigue & keep lungs clear.
Occupational therapists work towards functional independence of the patient. Training for activities of daily living and self care activities such as:-
- To evaluate & train the patient in self care activities such as dressing, eating, bathing & personal hygiene to maximize independence.
- To evaluate & train the patient to compensate for sensory & perceptual deficits taking personal, social & cultural tastes into consideration.
- To aid in home evaluation and recommend steps to make the environment barrier free & accessible.
- To provide holistic training in home management skills, using simpler methods or aids to minimize fatigue and conserve energy.
Speech Therapists are specially trained in exercises to improve clarity of speech, sound production, speech development and strengthening of the voice. They also educate about techniques to improve swallowing and avoid choking spells.
They focus on various components as follows :
- Speech- includes phonation, articulation, fluency, resonance and voice
- Language development- deals with comprehension and expression in oral, written, graphics and signs
- Cognitive aspects of communication– focuses on attention, memory, problem solving, executive function
- Swallowing – for solids & liquids
Neurological disorders are devastating for the patients and family members. Most often they are unable to cope with their disease and need guidance. Clinical psychologist identifies the problem areas and provides and counseling and guidance for better coping strategies to both the patients and care givers. They also contribute towards the cognitive rehabilitation of the patient.
- To reduce psychological distress.
- To enhance and promote psychological wellbeing.
- To use testing tools or scales which measure the objective scores of some psychological domains or cognitive domains.
- To use therapies and counseling techniques thereby enabling clients to make positive changes in their lives.
- Behavioral therapy: it involves a complete understanding of the child's behavior and changing the behavior to reduce dysfunction & improve the quality of life. This can be done by encouraging desired behavior and eliminating undesired behavior.
Aquatic therapist makes use of physical properties of water. The treatment is conducted in a swimming pool which allows for early movement restoration, reduction of spasticity, balance training, muscular strengthening, improved range of motion of the joints and greater degree of freedom. The aquatic therapist carefully identifies the problem areas and designs patient specific water based exercise program that slowly translates into land based exercises. Aquatic therapy is important for early therapeutic intervention.
The role of orthopedic surgeon is to treat existing deformities due to muscle contractures and to advice to prevent further deformities. Orthopedic surgeons and physiotherapists need to work in close conjunction to prevent deformities.
Patients of spinal cord injury, multiple sclerosis, cerebellar ataxia, dementia and others who have problems with bladder or bowel continence are provided with a specialist/urologist's consultation.
- To help the patients to overcome their bladder and bowel problems if any.
- To perform a detailed evaluation of the bladder capacity, through urodynamic study and to advise necessary treatment, if required.
- To make patients independent in personal hygiene by teaching them self intermittent catheterization and self evacuation, as far as possible.
Sexual rehabilitation is the most neglected yet very important aspect of Neurorehabilitation. Patients, who are suffering from sexual problems due to the neurological deficits, require the medical as well as counseling support from an andrologist.
Dance & Music Therapy
There is nothing better than an hour of some soothing music or a session of dance filled with joy and energy. We have a team of expert therapists that conduct music and dance therapy for patients. Besides, providing a relaxing time, it helps them to develop their vocational skills and overall interests, adding cheer in their daily routine.
Nutrition is most important for good recovery. A dietitian takes into consideration the nutritional needs and prescribes a diet program for the patients.
Neurological disorders are complex and challenging leading to severe functional deficits. Long term inpatient Neurorehabilitation is a goal-directed process that reduces the functional dependence, neurological deficits and secondary complications to provide better quality of life and re-integration in the community.
Healthy diet is the basis on which stands the tower of any treatment. Every patient will be evaluated by our expert dietician and according to individual requirements, a personalized diet chart will be recommended.
After stem cell treatment, patients have to follow a regular exercise program, requiring a lot of energy, which is obtained from good diet. Certain instances where a specialized diet plays an important role could be, for anemic patients where a high iron protein is required, for muscle building where a high protein diet is required. Other instance such as obese patients where a low fat or low carbohydrate diet is required is also taken into consideration.
All these issues are taken into consideration along with local availability, cost of food; cultural, social, religious norms and staple diet of the patient.
Inclusion of a therapeutic practice like yoga, in tandem with physiotherapy & occupational therapy can help mitigate the conditions of debilitating & degenerative diseases and greatly improve the quality of life. Yoga therapy uses asanas that involve stretching and relaxation of various muscles in combination with deep breathing techniques to improve muscle tone and reduce pain. Research shows that the benefits of yoga for movement disorders include improved strength, flexibility, balance, overall fitness and quality of life.
Yoga also addresses the mental and emotional damage caused by the illness. It helps to infuse positive energy into the individuals and thus help them to increase their inner strength to fight off depression & anxiety that characterize such illnesses. It instills a sense of hope into these patients.
- To motivate patient to set goals for themselves (long term and short term)
- To guide them how to work towards these goals, in a step wise manner and reach them
- To harness their positive energy & cement the therapy as a whole through mind power techniques and meditations to awaken the subconscious mind.
The workshop includes:
- Guided imagery
- Inspirational stories
- Patient videos
- Goal setting
- Creative visualization
- Group therapy